Wednesday, April 18, 2012

SOUL SCREAMS Comes To Life!


When my first novel SUFFER THE CHILDREN was published, the whole process was one thrill after another. The first time I saw the cover. The first (and second, and third) occasion I had a reason to say "I have to email my editor". Every round of edits was exciting.

And then the complete published novel arrived, in the form of a zip folder containing all the available e-book formats it was available in. That was an incredibly exciting moment - knowing that my novel was Published. I got so excited I tried to open all the files at once and crashed the machine. There was no hard copy, it was e-book only, but it was thrilling nonetheless.

SOUL SCREAMS is the first of my books that is being made available as a print version, and this means there's been a new round of 'first time thrills'. The first time I saw a JPG of the whole cover, front and back, was an exciting moment. It was also the first time I've had 'celebrity endorsements' on a cover, too - very exciting.

And then I was told the proofs had been ordered. Just the thought that there was a paper book out there, with my name on the cover - for some inexplicable reason that got me rather excited.

Then my editor at Stumar Press informed me that my uncorrected proof was on its way to me. He took pictures of the book before he put it in the post and emailed them to me. Monday afternoon, he told me, it had gone in the post. So I awaited its arrival with baited breath. I got home from work yesterday - Tuesday - a little hopeful but not really expecting anything. The Post Office is not usually that reliable. I figured it was going to take a couple of days to arrive.

But then, as I stood on my doorstep fumbling for my keys, through the frosted glass of my front door I could see, sitting on the door mat inside, a white jiffy bag. Exactly book-sized. I knew then that it had arrived. I was so excited I had trouble putting my keys in my own front door.

I dragged out that moment for a while. Savouring the envelope, before ripping it open and holding in my hands, for the first time, a paperback book with my name on the cover. And then I felt the urge to take a photo, and post said photo all over the Internet broadcasting the fact that my book has been brought to life (attached herewith).

It's these thrills that make all the heartache involved in being a writer worthwhile. But I'm wondering if I'm marking myself a rank amateur by getting excited at every step. Does one become accustomed to success? When you've got a dozen published novels under your belt, does laying eyes on the first one off the printing press no longer give you a thrill? I'd like to think that it's always exciting, no matter how many books you get published, but maybe I'm being idealistic.

I still hold onto the dream that one day I'll be in a position to know the answer to this. When I am, I'll be sure to let you know.

No comments: