Wednesday, November 2, 2011

WIP Update

I thought it was time for an update on the current Works in Progress.

The second book in the Shara series is finished to Draft 3 stage. It is now out with beta readers and I am awaiting feedback. I don't want to start Draft 4 until I have this - there's not point in merrily carrying on with it in its current format, only to be told unanimously that the book is complete rubbish and needs a total overhaul. Which I am fully expecting to happen.

So for now, it is put to one side while my beta readers digest it. Hopefully putting some distance between me and it will allow me to become a little more impartial, and less likely to get defensive when people tell me what's wrong with it.

In the meantime, though, I thought it was time to start a new project. I've been hankering going back to the horror - largely due to a fairly major crisis of confidence in the crime writing. I started to become convinced that maybe I was a better horror writer than crime writer.

It was Hubby who suggested I write another horror novel, perhaps carrying on the theme of SUFFER THE CHILDREN and writing about another mythological monster. The germ of an idea began to form by the time I went out to Egypt. The trip proved sufficiently inspirational that I was able to make a start on it. I am now 10,000 words into Draft 1 of this new horror novel. I don't want to say too much about it now, as it's very early days.

Those of you who have been following this blog a while may recall that at one point there was an urban fantasy WIP. This has now been officially abandoned. I don't think it's my genre.

So for now, there are officially two WIPS. Until further notice, they shall formally be referred to as Shara 2 and The New Horror Novel. I shall endeavour to keep you updated where appropriate.

No comments: